Sunday, September 7, 2008

Updates from the Home Front


My, it's been busy around here.

Yesterday, on our way to Haleigh's soccer game, we stopped by the police station to drop off goodies and a balloon for Matt's birthday. In my excitement over miniature brownies and a cookie variety platter, I forgot it was Saturday and there was no one at the front desk to let us in! Fortunately, when I called to let him know that I was trying to bring him goodies, he was right down the hall and came to let us in. On our way out, though, we got stuck in the lobby when I couldn't figure out how to open the exterior doors until a nice fellow officer came in and saved us from our distress.

We bolted out the door and headed down the road for the soccer game, managing to get there with only 1 1/2 minutes until starting! I don't know if the hectic pace got her blood pumping or what, but she jumped in there and immediately started scoring goals! The first was amazing to watch, as she drilled it on a diagonal to fly right past the goalie into the corner of the goal. She went on to score 3 of the team's 4 goals to help them win the game. She was very proud, and so was I, but the BEST part was simply watching how well she played with her teammates the entire time and how much fun she was having. At the end of the game, the parents always form a "tunnel" for the girls to run through after high-fiving the other team and saying "good game". When we were finished with that yesterday, the opposing team made a tunnel for our girls to run through, and our girls turned around and did the same for them. It was so adorable to watch a pile of giggling little girls, half in green and half in white. It was a moment that defines why team sports are good - they had a little healthy competition out on the field, learned to work hard with their teams, and made even more friends and had fun through the whole process!

Last night we went over to our neighbors' for a yummy dinner and a small birthday celebration for Matt. I made homemade cobbler from a pile of blackberries picked right in their backyard and it was delicious!

Today is a big day, too. I'm auditioning for another musical this afternoon. It's Sondheim's "Company" for those of you who are familiar with these things. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Green Moss & Sunny said...

Am I the only one not in the know about you and musicals? C'mon, fill me in!

sunny