Monday, March 30, 2009

Up with the chickens?

Nope! At my house it was a woodpecker that jerked us out of our sweet dreams this morning. I've never laughed so hard in my life. I heard a very high pitched rapid-fire chirp, then a rat-a-tat-tat that sounded very metallic. I walked out the back door to take the puppies for a potty break, looked up, and spotted him on my neighbor's roof. Well, he was on my neighbor's metal chimney, to be exact! I thought all the chirping must have been because he was MAD that he couldn't poke a hole in that shiny hard wood and find some breakfast, but I should have known to just ask my brilliant child who never forgets anything. She said "mom, he's trying to find a girlfriend. Grandma told me that's why they make all that noise."
Well, good luck, Mr. Woodpecker. I hope you find a girlfriend soon before you break your little beak and I lose any more sleep! :-)

No comments: