Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Dinner and a Cause


I LOVE Phad Thai with chicken from authentic Thai restaurants. We used to have one down the street, but they closed so I now have to drive a little ways to get the yumminess. Because of this, I decided to try a boxed version at home. I soaked the noodles as directed and stir-fried away. It was not good. The noodles should have been soaked at least twice as long, and there was absolutely no spice. It was, however, better than the last version I tried that only tasted like fish sauce. I guess I'll have to keep driving when I have the urge for this dish, or learn to make it from scratch!


The cool thing about this experience is that when I opened the box, there was a little rectangle of paper inside that said "Thailand's Turtles are in Trouble." There is a picture of the Mangrove Terrapin and an invitation to purchase a t-shirt or make a donation to help them out. It turns out that the company who makes the boxed dinners created a non-profit organization for this purpose. You can check them out here. There is a "project update" section of the site that is worth checking out. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get a t-shirt, but I am going to learn more!


No comments: