Sunday, November 11, 2007

The End of an Era


It dawned on me recently that this may be the last year of "Santa Claus" around my house. My daughter turns 7 the day after Christmas, and she's a pretty quick kid. If she's like me, though, she'll keep playing along just to make her mom happy! I was clued in to the fact she might be catching on, or that some older kid might have told her at school (the likely story), by a conversation recently.


Haleigh: Mom, do you believe in fairies?

Me: Well, I guess.

Haleigh: But, are they real?

Me: Well, I think if you believe in something, it makes it real.

Haleigh: Do you believe in angels?

Me: Absolutely.

Haleigh: Yeah, me, too . . . (moment of silence) . . . well, and I believe in Santa Claus, too!


It's like she had to convince herself that it was ok to believe in him! It's a little sad to realize we are nearing the age where this one particular magic no longer applies. My husband told me that when he figured it out, his mom explained it in a good way. She told him that Santa Claus was based on a good man who gave toys to kids who might not have had presents otherwise, and the tradition of giving presents was carried on to honor him. I like it. I think it will come in quite handy when the day comes that Haleigh calls our bluff!

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Dang it! I got to hurry up and get up there before I miss her whole childhood. Time is going too fast!

amy said...

Yes, it is. How did this happen?????