Thursday, November 29, 2007

In the Blink of an Eye

A few days ago, my husband was very late getting home from work, because he was the responding officer to a devastating accident. A family was going to have holiday pictures taken. A young sailor, just recently home from a very long deployment, was travelling on his motorcycle and his wife was following him in a car with her parents who were visiting.
He rounded a curve ahead of her, going too fast. She came through the curve and didn't see him. When she got to the on-ramp and still didn't see him, she turned around. When she got back to the curve, she saw his motorcycle. She stopped, and then she saw him, crumpled at the base of a light pole. He was taking his very last breaths as she approached him. The medics arrived and he was put on a life-flight to Seattle, but he didn't even survive the trip. She had to drive around, almost two hours to the hospital, just to be met with the news that her life had just been completely turned upside down.
He was 23 years old. She was 21. I can't get them out of my head. I wish, for just a moment, that I could take even a tiny bit of her burden just so she could have some relief and maybe a little peace and comfort. I hurt for his parents. I just don't understand why these things happen. I especially don't know how my husband processes the experience of being present at such an event, and I want to make it better for him, too. Sometimes, this world just doesn't make sense.

No comments: