Monday, November 5, 2007

Going to the Dogs . . .



Today I took my older son to the vet. His name is Sam, and he's a large mixed-breed dog, mostly golden retriever/lab with a little bloodhound thrown in for fun (at least that's our best guess). He's a big boy, who has gotten a little bigger recently, weighing in at 117 lbs. He's just a whole lotta LUV!
So, the vet asked how much we feed him, and I guessed about 3 1/2 to 4 cups per day. It's a pretty good guess, we are responsible pet owners and we use the little scoopy thing that came with the food containers. The vet suggested that we use an actual measuring cup and cut him back to 3 cups per day, and we will probably ease him into less than that! I'm thinking to myself "are you looking at this hunk of doggie? How can he survive on such meager portions?" The vet must have sensed my concern, because he explained to me that our dog food is statistically way too high in calories for what they actually need. He said "the trends of our society are unfortunately reflected even in PET FOOD!" Now, that is just sad. Must we make our dogs fat and unhealthy, too? I assure you I will follow my vet's advice. I love my Sam, and I want him to be around for just as long as I can keep him!

No comments: