Monday, December 3, 2007

NOT a good day


Lots and lots of lovely snow fell over the weekend, and it was very pretty. Last night, all that snow falling became rain. Between midnight and 7:00 this morning, we had received just over 7 inches of rain. Are you following me? This is on ALREADY completely saturated ground.

This morning, I walked down the steps into my basement to get to the washer and dryer. I came off the bottom step with a SPLASH into freezing cold water, about 3 inches deep. Now, that will wake you right up, for sure. It wasn't too bad yet, because a few years ago we put a little board in the doorway and sealed it just in case this little area at the bottom of the steps got wet again (it only happens in really severe flood weather).

Fast forward a little . . . I took my daughter to school, my husband got called in to work because they need all the help they can get in this mess. In the time I was gone, the amount of water in my basement has at least doubled, probably tripled. Roads are completely flooded. People's entire houses are flooding. There are major mudslides. Keeping things in perspective, I shouldn't be so distressed about my basement. But I am. Because I'm here by myself, scooping it out using a trashcan, and I'm not even making a dent. Oh, and the rain hasn't slowed down at all, and it's not supposed to until later this afternoon. If you need me, I'll be wading around in my basement. Bring your lawn chair and visit a while, we'll need margaritas later.

No comments: