Saturday, August 16, 2008

Motley Crue and other misadventures


The past two weeks have been a crazy whirlwind blur. Last week, it seemed as if every night were a different event. We took Haleigh to see a movie on Monday evening. It was a reward for being so good and helpful that day - which is going to have a blog devoted to it later. Tuesday night, Matt & Haleigh went to a ball game with friends while I shopped. It was NOT fun shopping. It was frantic "what the heck do you wear to a Motley Crue concert that falls somewhere between soccer mom and leather wearing rocker chick" shopping. The fabulous part of that evening for me, though, was a much-needed long chat with my favorite mother-in-law. It was good to hear her voice. I don't even remember what was happening the next two nights, I just know we weren't home much.

Then, Friday night arrived. Months ago, Matt came home and told me he was going to a Motley Crue concert, and he was getting tickets in the pit with a friend from work. I wasn't really interested, and I knew it would be a nightmare trying to find a sitter, so I wasn't upset about not going. I can say, honestly, that I will never be in a pit at a rock concert. Ever. It's just not my thing. Weeks later, he came home and said his friend's wife would like to go and sit in the grass (it's an outdoor amphitheatre), but she needed someone to go with her. And, their daughter would babysit. So, I started to get a little excited about seeing Tommy Lee play the drums live. He's old and nasty, but he is an incredible drummer, and I'm a musician at heart.

Then, the daughter who would be babysitting ended up going to visit family in California, and we were left with no sitter. I had nowhere to turn. Our friends ended up getting a sitter for both of us. THEN, three out of us four wanted to ride the boys' motorcycles to the concert . . . guess who was the one who didn't? So, we took my family car instead. It might be the coolest family car in the world, but it's no bike. It turned out ok, because we would have been freezing and exhausted on bikes, but I still felt a little bad about it.

So, back to the concert. The people-watching was incredible. I never saw so much leather or so much skin. It could have been one big psychology experiment, trying to figure out what kind of mindset is required to go out in public that way. The show itself was much better than I expected, even with all the colorful language. What I could NOT get past was the 4 giant screens flanking the stage with, um, "adult entertainment" playing throughout the show, mixed in with disturbing religious images and insulting portrayals of our president. I stayed focused on the stage. But were the hoardes of children around me able to do that? That's right, people brought their CHILDREN to this show, which was clearly advertised 18 and over. As if the volume would not be enough to convince you to leave their little eardrums at home . . . we're talking about Motley Crue here! It's not a family-friendly show! I blame the idiot parents and their stupidity, but I think the venue had some responsibility there, too. Those morons should have been turned away at the gate. And it was not just a few children . . . they were everywhere I looked.

Now that I'm off my soapbox, I can say this. I have survived a Motley Crue concert. They are much better live than I ever expected. In fact, I quite enjoyed the actual show. I've always been a big fan of the hair bands, and their musicianship is pretty incredible. I also, after observing that giant gathering of people, feel pretty great about the person that I am. :-) I think I came away from the event having learned a little more about myself, and a little more about the world!

On a side note, I also learned that Nikki Six has apparently been embalmed. He looks like he just walked right out of the 80's. It's spooky. It's like they sucked the life right out of Mick Mars and gave it to Nikki.

No comments: