Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sunday Stroll

Every Labor Day weekend, my town celebrates the blackberry with a festival down on the waterfront. In the 6 years we've been here, I've watched it grow from a few booths in an old parking lot to a beautiful gathering on our fancy new pier and boardwalk area, all in the shadow of new waterfront condominiums. Today we walked down, and I managed to resist the blackberry cobbler, scones, and "slugs" - a heavenly blackberry jam-filled pastry thing that the festival is famous for. We did sample blackberry soda, a new addition to the event, and tomorrow I'll go back to buy blackberry wine for my dad. I might have some cobbler, too. :-)
Haleigh and I had so much fun browsing around outside that we decided to extend our walk for a Sunday Stroll. They say black cats are bad luck, but I don't believe it for a second about this little sweetie! We found her lounging on a garbage can beneath lovely roses, and she and Haleigh became fast friends.
Photobucket
Could it be? Just down the street we found this fun little shrub beginning to show signs of fall already!
Photobucket
Our walk took us over an old bridge not far from home, and this was the view down over the marina.
Photobucket
At the opposite end, we found a cozy little spot to sit and watch the boats go by. I think we'll have to plan a picnic soon.
Photobucket
And, naturally, we stopped to take a picture of this weekend's guest of honor. This cluster shows the different stages of ripening. When I was a little girl, I could hardly wait for them to be ready, so I snacked on MANY red berries in my impatience. Haleigh shares my love for this berry, too, but she prefers them very ripe and enormous.
Photobucket
I hope you all had wonderful Sundays!

4 comments:

Marcie said...

Amy, I'm so glad you posted a Sunday Stroll this week. Your festival sounds wonderful, and Haleigh's enthusiasm shines right through the photos. I love blackberries too! :)

Green Moss & Sunny said...

Amy, it is huckleberry season on this side of the mountains. (check out my recipe blog).

We have gone to the lavender festival in Squim. It is like what you describe for the blackberry. They have lots of lavender food, too. A bit strange.

sunny

amy said...

Hi, Aisling! Thank YOU for the invitation to stroll! :) Our little Blackberry Festival has really grown up in the years since we moved here. It's a direct result of all the growth in the downtown area that is so much fun to walk around now! I love to watch the changes each year, and I LOVE the food!

amy said...

Hi, Sunny! Matt and I were just discussing huckleberries and what to do with them!
I want very badly to go to the lavendar festival in Sequim. I caught the tail end of it by accident one year and fell in love with the plant. I'm curious about all the lavendar food, though! I've seen lavendar honey and chocolate with lavendar in it, but I can't imagine much more than that!