Friday, August 1, 2008

Not always the obvious answer

Well, naturally, the first reaction to my dream is that it must mean I want another baby, LOL. :-)
But, here's the thing. I truly do not want to have another baby right this second. I will be 30 in about 6 months, so I still have time to change my mind. But, my daughter will be 8 years old at the end of this year, and that's enough to give me pause. I can't imagine starting all over. You know how some people just obsess over tiny little newborns? Well, naturally we loved our kid and thought she was the most beautiful, most special, most intelligent, most adorable, etc. And she was an ANGEL of a baby. But, we were the parents who always wanted her to hurry up and do something. I was so excited when she started staying awake more, playing with things, communicating with us. As she evolved into her own little person, she just became immensely more interesting! As she's gotten more and more independent (seriously, I could practically let her move out on her own right now), I have embraced it! When I think of middle of the night feedings (shudder), packing giant diaper bags (shudder), and potty training (shudder), I think that maybe one is just enough. And, on those rare occasions where I've thought maybe I would like to have another, Matt shuts me down and suggests getting another puppy. They're practically like newborns anyway, LOL.
There is a part of me that wants for Haleigh to have a sibling. At this point, who knows how close they would ever be, though? And, truth be told . . . I don't really want to give birth again. Oh, I'm not scared of it. I enjoyed every minute of my pregnancy, and I handled the delivery like a champ. I'm pretty sure I shocked everyone in my family, most especially myself, with just how well I brought that kid into the world. Just ask my mother-in-law, she was there for the entire thing! It was the period after the fact that I wasn't too thrilled with. That easy-as-pie pregnancy and textbook delivery were apparently just setting me up for a hell of a recovery. I'd like to avoid that whole experience, really. Before you ask . . . I am an exuberant supporter of adoption, so perhaps that is something to be explored at a later time.
Now, back to my dream. Don't you think it's possible that it's not literally about a baby? I think that's why it's nagging at me. I feel like I'm on the verge of something, and I wonder if this dream was my subconscious letting me know that. Maybe I'll never know . . .

2 comments:

Green Moss & Sunny said...

I teach 6-9 year olds for exactly that reason. And they adore me at that age. Unfortunately, it's different when they are teens (my son, for example). You know, even your explanation for why you're not baby bound sounds like you are!
;-)
sunny

amy said...

Sunny, your comment made me laugh because I had just read through my post again and thought the same thing! I think it's not really that I'm thinking about having a baby . . . it's that I'm approaching an age where I need to make up my mind IF I'm going to have any more children.