Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oddball Dreams

Occasionally I have a dream that really and truly sticks with me. It just hangs on for dear life around the edges of my subconscious, and there's not much rhyme or reason to it. I don't always figure out what they mean - in fact, I rarely do. I typically spend a bit of time trying to figure them out, though. The other night I had one of these dreams, and it's still nagging at me.
My husband was working in the middle of the night (he actually works day shift), and he was attempting to pull over a car driving erratically. It would speed up for a while, then swerve and slow down dramatically, then speed up again and swerve some more. There was a normal amount of traffic around. He finally got the car pulled over, and it was a lady extremely far into labor, attempting to drive herself to the hospital. She turned to him, looked scared to death, and said "I can't stop it, I'm having this baby." He - always cool under pressure - informed the dispatcher of the situation and requested aid. Then, he squatted down and caught the baby on the side of the road after the mom pushed maybe twice. The mother looked at him with deep, deep relief and gratitude. I can see her eyes so vividly. She was beautiful. But, she was young and frantic, and the look in her eyes switched immediately to panic and terror. She told him "I don't want him, just take him, please." She kept saying those three things over and over, along with "I don't know how", and she was trying to drive away. He called me, then he called Child Protective Services. I don't know why he called me, but it was dreamworld, after all. She never held the baby, and she drove away right as the ambulance was arriving, and I was pulling up, too. Matt handed me the baby and said "can you just hold him for a minute?" He was still on his radio, giving a description of the car and license plate, and talking to the medics. For some reason, they never asked to see the baby, they were just watching us. Everything got kind of swirly, like it does sometimes in dreams. You know, when it seems like everything focuses in very closely on one small scene, and you can't make sense of what else is going on? I kept pulling on Matt's shirt, and he didn't seem to notice me. I kept saying over and over "I can't name him if I don't know if we're going to keep him." But in my mind, I had already named him - James. He would be called "Jimmy." I just couldn't say it out loud. But NOBODY would listen to me. It was as if I turned invisible when I held the baby.
And that was it.

4 comments:

Robbin said...

WOO HOO, another grandbaby on the way!
Hold up, I'll be there to help you.
LOL!

Green Moss & Sunny said...

C'mon now, you must be honest about what that dream means. wishing for another isn't a crime!

sunny

Green Moss & Sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marge said...

Are you trying to tell us something? Robbin would be thrilled, wouldn't she?

Dreams are funny. Mine are so weird sometimes that I sure wouldn't want to know what they mean! That would be scary!

Have a great day and an even better weekend, filled with blessings.

Marge