Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hey, Mr. Tambourine Man


Play a song for me . . . because I'm hopeless. :-)

I got a new toy today. It is a nice tambourine that we picked up at Matt's favorite music store. The owner convinced me to go with the higher end tambourine because it really did sound better than the "student" versions. It has brass "zils" which is apparently the preferred material, and he offered a good discount. Then, in case I wasn't completely convinced, he offered me the use of his personal in-store Magic 8 Ball, which responded with a clear "yes".

The thing is, I'm no tambourine expert. I've been trying most of the afternoon to get a handle on it, but it is a slow process. I HAVE learned, however, that if I giggle - and especially if I try to suppress those giggles - the tambourine vibrates enough to be picked up by the microphones, and that makes me giggle even more. Then Matt tells me that I basically play like a little old white church lady, and that makes me giggle even more.

I am determined to conquer this thing and contribute more to our basement jam sessions. I'll let you know how it goes. In the mean time, peace, love, and all that grooviness.

No comments: