Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday Stroll

Aisling over at The Quiet Country House issues an invitation for us to take a stroll each Sunday and post about out experience. It's been a while, but I finally made it out for one today, although it was very brief.
I headed down to our little local store. It's called CJ's, and it has been a wonderful addition to our neighborhood. There was an organic market in there before, and I LOVED it, but business didn't pick up like they wanted it to and they had to close. I wondered what we would get next, and I have been so pleasantly surprised with CJ's.
Photobucket
It is a true old-fashioned corner store. They have ice-cream by the scoop, and the owner's husband makes home-made pies and other yummy treats. There are tables and chairs for kids to hang out after school. The owners have made it a point to learn all the neighborhood kids and their parents, and they watch out for them as if they were their own. Haleigh likes to walk down and get a "kid cone" for a dollar. They even have penny candy! Most of the items are around ten cents, but there are really and truly options for one penny! They also made the whole front of the cash register/counter space into a chalkboard for the kids. Fun!
Photobucket
On the way back, I stopped to admire my own little tiny garden. I have this big brick planter thing attached to the front of my house, and I hate it. I do not have a green thumb, and this planter has perplexed me from the time we moved in. I have tried all sorts of things (even decorating it with a scarecrow, pumpkins, and hay bales), and it has never looked "right" to me. I finally decided to just put a hydrangea in there and try really hard not to kill it. There were two hostas hanging on for dear life from a previous gardening attempt, so I left them while the hydrangea was growing. I also planted some petunias around, because they are easy, "happy" flowers, and the hydrangea was still a little baby.
Photobucket
I added the petunias primarily for some color, because I truly didn't expect the hydrangea to bloom this year. Imagine my surprise when I started noticing these little petals appearing!
Photobucket
I can't wait to see it when it really takes off! I also can't believe this jasmine plant. I thought it was dead! When I cleared out this flower bed, I almost pulled it out, but I left it just to see what would happen. It is beginning to drip with snowy white flowers, and the frangrance is heavenly!
Photobucket
It is a beautiful sunny day here in my hometown, and I'm glad Aisling reminded me to get out and enjoy it. Sometimes even a short walk can lift your spirits. I hope you are all having wonderful Sundays as well!

5 comments:

Marcie said...

Amy, Nice stroll. Jasmine is one of my favorite scents. I could almost smell it. I can't grow it here (or would have to take it in in winter) so I envy you that fragrance in the garden.

I love the jars of candy at your corner store. It seems like a nice addition to your neighborhood.

Thank you for strolling today. I enjoyed your photos.

Robbin said...

Very nice stroll. And pretty pictures too.

Chellie said...

That store is so cool. Did you say you could walk to it from your house?

amy said...

Hi, guys! Aisling and Ms. Robbin, I thought I responded to you yesterday but for some reason my comment didn't post!

Aisling, the jasmine is just starting to really get its fragrance, and it is soooo wonderful! It is directly to the right of my front door, so I'm greeted by it upon each return home. You should plant one in a lovely pot with a little trellis that you can bring inside. Then you could enjoy it all year!

amy said...

Chellie, that store is too cool, isn't it! It is less than a block from my house, and we really enjoy having it. I can't tell you how many times I've run out the front door to grab a forgotten ingredient. It's close enough that I even sent Haleigh for eggs once when we were in the middle of making cupcakes! What really makes it so charming though is the owners. They are sooooo wonderful, and they watch over all the neighborhood children! They know who belongs with who and that is so very comforting!
Thanks for stopping by!