Saturday, May 9, 2009

Okay, here goes

Thursday morning started off like any other day . . . for about 5 seconds. Then I remembered it was audition day. I quickly ate an English muffin before nervous tummy completely set in, when I knew I wouldn't be able to eat anything else until it was all over.
Matt was at work. Ms. Robbin had threatened not to come out of her room until I left (I don't know what she was worried about, LOL) but I lured her out with the smell of fresh-brewing coffee. The night before, I had changed my up-tempo song selection at the last minute, so I went to practice it a little bit, and constantly . . . . obsessively . . . . went over the lyrics in my head. Here's a sample, imagine it at a very rapid pace:

Another hundred people just got off of the train and came up through the ground
While another hundred people just got off of the bus and are looking around
At another hundred people who got off the plane and are looking at us
Who got off of the train, and the plane and the bus maybe yesterday

Extra points if you can name the show from which it hails.
Finally it was time to start getting ready. I had already picked my outfit. I felt good in it, I think it looked professional without being pretentious. My hair seemed to be cooperating and the sun was shining - both very good signs. When I came out of the bathroom, I got a surprise. Matt came home from work half-way through his shift. He and his mom had plans to shop for a tv, and he took a little time off so they wouldn't be rushed. I was really happy to see him before I left, too!
I made it to the ferry in plenty of time, and enjoyed a peaceful ride over . . . not really. I stayed in my car to go over my songs some more and think positive thoughts, and I was parked right next to an engine room or something making quite a bit of noise. Because of that, I couldn't understand the announcements being made. Next thing I knew, there were alarms going off and firemen walking around the car deck. I figured out it was just a drill because no one seemed very panicked or rushed, but my heart was in my throat for just a little bit! Come ON, people! Didn't they know I was already in a fragile state?
When the ferry docked I drove into downtown. It was BEAUTIFUL outside, and I felt a little more alive just being in the city and watching the hustle and bustle. I got so distracted looking at everyone's new coats in lovely spring colors that I almost missed my turn for the parking garage I wanted, but I made it just in time. I walked over to the theatre and went to the stairs leading down to the basement rehearsal area. There's a whole little village down there under the streets of Seattle! Art stores, food court, spas, offices, but no easily accessible bathrooms, lol. In fact, if you are lucky enough to find a bathroom in a public space, you have to have a code from one of the nearby businesses to get in. But that's for another post.
I was pretty early for my audition, so I got to chat with some really nice people who were also auditioning, and hear little snippets of each of their songs. The rehearsal space is pretty soundproof, so mostly I could hear the piano until someone really started belting. Oh, and the piano. My nerves were soothed immensely when I heard the pianist playing everyone else's songs. He was soooooo good! He played my fast song flawlessly, including all three key changes that happen in just one verse!
A nice young assistant walked in with me and introduced me to the auditioners. There were three of them, all men, one of whom I met at the first class I attended at the theatre to learn tips for auditioning. I acknowledged them, then froze - for just a second. I suddenly had to manually think through every step I needed to take. "Okay, Amy, now you go over to the pianist and give him your music. Check. Set the tempo with him. Check. Go back to the center. Check. Nod at him to begin. Check. DON'T SCREW UP! Check."
When I sat my music down on the piano he said "oh, great song". My confidence was immediately boosted. I was very, very nervous, but I sang my first song really well without missing a word. The judge in the middle said "okay, what will you be singing next?" I took just a moment to breathe, then started my second song. I was worried it would seem too long, but it felt like it was over as soon as I started! They said thank you, and I walked out of the room! That was it! It's a little unnerving to pour your heart on a stage and get no feedback, but that's just how it works. It was over so fast!
When I was all done, I stopped and acknowledged that I was very pleased with how it went. Yes, I was nervous, but I think I gave an excellent audition. I am proud of myself for taking this step, and proving to myself that I can indeed do it!
Now, the hard part. These were general auditions for the upcoming season at the theatre. While I performed, they took copious notes, including marking which shows they think I might be appropriate for. Now, I just wait to see if I get a callback. That could happen any time in the next year as they get ready to cast each show, or not at all. All I know is that I have no regrets, and I hope they see a place for me in an upcoming production. Only time will tell!

2 comments:

Chellie said...

I just cannot believe that now you just wait all year to see if you get a call back...ugh. At least it's behind you. I just have a really good feeling that you'll be hearing form them in the future.

amy said...

Chellie, I know! The anxiety is terrible! I try to remind myself when I start to obssess about it that I did the best I could, and that's all I could do! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement!