Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hooray!


Or should I say "bravo"? I found out today that I got the lead role in the musical I auditioned for several weeks ago. I'm so excited I might just explode.


The musical is "The Pajama Game", and Doris Day made the lead role famous in the movie version. I tend to identify with Doris Day characters . . . sweet, wholesome good girl with some spunk. This play was "revived" on Broadway a few years ago and Harry Connick, Jr. played the main guy. Be still, my heart. Sadly, he has some scheduling conflicts and won't be able to reprise his role in our community theatre version. Oh, but wouldn't THAT be fun? :-)
I literally had no idea that I would be given this role. I went to rehearsal today thinking that all the girls would be singing again for the director and she would be making final casting decisions after that. However, when I walked in the door she handed me a script and said "Amy, I want you to read Babe. I want you to BE Babe." And while I was still floating in that moment, ANOTHER wonderful thing happened. It went something like this:

ME: (looking at the music we were working on) "Whoah, I haven't sang that high
since I was 21."


ADORABLE LITTLE HIGH SCHOOL GIRL NEXT TO ME: (with shocked expression) "Wait ...
you're over 21?"


ME: "Oh, honey, I love you. I'm 29, and you're my new BFF."

I might have offered to name future children after her, as well .. .

3 comments:

Chellie said...

Wow! That is so cool.. Wish I was closer so I could come watch!

Robbin said...

Congrats to you! I'm very proud of you and I wish to see it too!

amy said...

WEll, you know, you could come visit! Or move out here, or whatever.

And Chellie, thank you, too! I"m so excited!