Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year!




It's that time again . . . out with the old, in with the new. Some folks are recovering from a night of crazy parties. Others are thinking about resolutions and how they want this year to be different from the last. Personally, I'm reflecting on how FAST this last year went by. It was full of many changes . . . my husband's first year in his new job, leaving my own job, taking a cross-country road trip with my daughter (and seeing some really cool things!), and starting college again. Oh, and having surgery for the very first time ever (I'm so glad that's over!).


Most of all, at this very moment, I'm thinking about my most FAVORITE New Year's Day tradition. As my hubby watches football . . . lots and lots of neverending football . . . I will have a ham slowly cooking in the oven. The glorious aroma will waft throughout the house, and I will use some of the ham drippings in the pot of black-eyed peas simmering on the stove-top. There will also be turnips and cornbread, rice to layer the peas on, and chopped onion to sprinkle on top of that. YUM! Southern tradition says the more peas you eat, the more luck you have in the new year. Likewise, the more turnips you eat, the more money you will have. I don't know if that's true, but it sounds like a good excuse to me to get stuffed!


HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: