Sunday, January 27, 2008

Say it Ain't So!


It seems the originators of all things "boy-band" are making a comeback. Yes, I'm talking about New Kids on the Block. I honestly had to stop for a second to figure out if it was April Fools Day when I saw the article on the People.com website. Alas, it's true. You can read it for yourself here.

The very first concert I ever attended was New Kids on the Block. A group of us 5th grade girls got together and carpooled with my mom and another mom. We all dressed alike - cut-off rolled up denim shorts (acid washed, of course), over-sized t-shirts pulled over to one side at the bottom with a scrunchie, 2 different colors of scrunchie socks layered over our white keds. Oh, and of course our hair was in side ponytails with multiple colored scrunchies and enormous bangs. We took our spots waaaay up in the bleachers and added our own adolescent girl screams to the cacophony around us. The opening act was TERRIBLE and really inappropriate for the audience. Then, NKOTB arrived and the place went nuts. I can't even think about it right now without singing "oh oh oh oh oh, Hangin' Tough." Ahhhh, the memories.

But they should stay memories, don't ya think? These guys are old now! I'm not sure that it's in anybody's best interest to stage a comeback this late in the game! Are they going to try to appeal to teeny-bopper girls again, or will they target their moms this time? Either way, I'm very concerned about the whole operation. I'm not sure they can pull-off the hairstyles, various caps, and tight-rolled jeans that made them such icons the first time around. Well, Donnie can sport the bandanna, but it might be to cover baldness this time. Only time will tell . . .

1 comment:

Chellie said...

oh wow! Did I just take a walk down memory lane! I never attended a New Kids concert, but I dressed EXACTLY like you! Fun stuff back then! ;)