Saturday, January 5, 2008

A perfect end to 2007

On New Year's Eve, my family and I headed to Mt. Rainier. If you haven't ever been, you should seriously consider it. We stopped and picked up a few sleds because none of us have ever sledded before, and prepared ourselves for some fun in the snow. This was our drive toward the park entrance:
Photobucket
The picture is a little deceiving because of all the shade trees - it was a PERFECT, beautiful, sunny day. When we got there, we could only go up the road part of the way, because they were still plowing the road to Paradise (it's really called that!) where the sledding area is. We all parked to wait, and the doggies needed a potty break. Check out the wall of snow behind the cars. That's how deep the snow is, and God bless the plows! They basically made a tunnel for all the cars to get through.
Photobucket
I have to say, I have never in my life seen snow like this. Here, on the lower part of the mountain, there were about 8 feet of snow. About 1 1/2 feet of it had fallen just the night before, so it was pristine and powdery. This also made it quite difficult to walk in. Here's Haleigh following her Daddy on a trail, or what we assumed was a trail. :-) He had to haul her out once when she sank up to her waist!
Photobucket
Finally, the plowing was complete and we were allowed to move along. THIS is what we were greeted with . . . almost 11 feet of immaculate pure white snow. I'm thinking of sending these next two pics in for visitor brocures!
beautiful
Here's my little snowbunny.
Photobucket
Here's Haleigh's first sledding attempt. It was really difficult on such soft snow, but after the "chute" was packed down by several sledding trips, it got better . . . and much faster.
Photobucket
This is me going down the "chute." I was screaming like a maniac.
Photobucket
Matt didn't sled due to a recent back injury, but he thoroughly enjoyed himself laughing at us.
Naturally, in all this snow, snow angels had to be made:
Photobucket
And at the end of this perfect day, we rested long enough for a picture on the way back down to the truck. You can see the top of the mountain behind us. It was a winter wonderland, and I'm so glad we got to experience it!
Photobucket

7 comments:

Chellie said...

That will something that your daughter will remember as being really fun. How nice that you took your dog too. :)

Robbin said...

Really Beautiful, Lucky Ducks you are! Or should I say Snow Bunnies?

Robbin said...

Haleigh looks so big in these pictures, she is so growing! Like a weed! But she is seven after all.

Chellie said...

Happy Birthday today, Amy!

Chellie said...

So, I looked back and it's actually on Monday. I thought I remembered the 12th, but it's the 14th. Sorry. I'll get my info straightr one of these days!!!!

amy said...

I STILL can't believe she is seven. And you are right, she is getting HUGE! She has grown right out of a few pairs of her size 7 slim jeans already! I'm so interested to see how tall she will get . . .

amy said...

Chellie, thanks anyway! Birthday wishes are appreciated any time!
:-)