Saturday, January 19, 2008

Some daydreams


Several years ago, I read a book by one of my favorite authors. It was set in New England and one of the main characters raised angora rabbits and sold their wool. The idea intrigued me, and I've found myself researching it here and there since then. There are not a lot of angora breeders in the country, and there seems to be a concentration of them in the northwest and in New England. In fact, there are quite a few in Oregon, which doesn't surprise me . . . there are congregations of folks in Oregon who like to do everything all natural, so raising their own wool source to spin into cozy garments is right up their alley.

Today I've been exploring this idea again. I've learned about German and silken angoras. There are also English angoras, but they require much more grooming for less product, and are generally more difficult to take care of. The giant angoras are supposedly the easiest to groom, not to mention the fact that they are adorable! People either raise them to show or to groom for wool, and I've read that the grooming is quite therapeutic for the human and the bunny. The set-up is really pretty simple, and you can actually turn a profit pretty quickly, because there is a big demand for angora wool.

I think, when I move to my cabin in the woods, this will be my livelihood. I would like to visit some of the breeders nearby and learn some more. Lucky for me, I have a hubby who can build the set-up for me, so all I need is to get some bunnies. Heaven knows they can reproduce just fine, so it shouldn't take much to get started. And LOOK at these guys . . . how could they not make me smile? In a few years if you're looking for me, I'll be the crazy rabbit lady in the woods.

2 comments:

Chellie said...

Those rabbits are adorable. (I lost email and am back up again with a new blog address!)

Robbin said...

Umm, rabbits are cute and all that, but for some unexplainable reason, rabbits give me the creeps. Who knows! And the idea of shaving them really creeps me out. I'm weird though, so there you go.