Monday, October 22, 2007

Natures's Treasures


I was so busy trying to stay upright, carefully watching the ground for slippery roots hidden by the leaves, that I almost missed this treasure. My husband pointed out this tree stump to me, and asked me if I knew what the holes were for. It turns out, this tree was harvested waaaay back in the day when two men using a double-handled saw would work together to fell these giants. They made the holes in the trunk and stuck two-by-four's in them to stand on while they worked.


I told him those holes looked like eyes to me, and this tree was a woman. Look closely at her, and you cannot deny she has a soul. The method of her harvesting indicates that she's been here quite a while, gathering her wisdom. If I had been alone, I probably would have chatted with her.

No comments: