Friday, October 12, 2007

Needle phobia


I got to my biology lab two or three minutes late on Thursday, and the teacher had already begun speaking. I made my way to my usual seat which happens to be right next to where she typically places all of her things. I put my purse down and began taking notes on osmosis. I could see that we would be using the microscopes again, and we would be studying osmosis in plant cells, starch solutions in dialysis bags, and blood. Then I noticed what was sitting next to me - a BOX of alcohol wipes, a BOX of little round band-aids, and a BOX of lancets. You know, the things used to jab your finger and squeeze out blood for some barbaric reason. I know, I know, it's necessary sometimes. This time, I was afraid we were all going to be required to look at our own blood. WAIT! Hold the press! Bring on the fetal pig for dissection! Anything to save me from a puncture wound.


Turns out, she just needed one volunteer, and we all looked at her blood cells. Whew! Crisis averted.

No comments: