Thursday, October 11, 2007

Why is it that when someone shares a big dream with us, something that seems impossible or at least unreasonable, we tend to shut them down? I remember when I was in highschool, all I wanted to do was sing. I had big plans to move to New York and make it on Broadway. I knew I had the talent, I just had to work really hard for the opportunities. It seemed that whenever someone asked me "what I wanted to do", they never wanted to hear the real answer. With the exception of a very few people, most folks just thought it was a "pipe dream". They smiled politely and said things like "that would be nice" while they thought (and some even asked!) - but what are your REAL plans. WHAT? I just bared my soul to you! I just shared with you my greatest desires! Who are you to act as if it can't be done? Shouldn't I be the one to determine that? Haven't I managed to accomplish everything else I wanted up to this point? Why question me now?

See, I have another little dream for myself right now. It involves what I would really like to "do", but it scares me to death. It would be risky, but oh, so rewarding, and I'm pretty sure I would never ever get tired of it. It also involves me taking complete control - and therefore complete responsibility - over my success or failure. I haven't talked much about it, ever, because I'm afraid of those types of reactions I've experienced before. If people realize I'm serious about it, for some reason the conversation turns to how difficult everything will be: "well, funding can be a problem; rent prices are crazy these days; are you sure there's a market for that?; you would need help; and the kicker THAT's A LOT OF WORK!" Well, I KNOW that!

So, for now, I'll keep it to myself for a little bit longer and chew on it a while. Then, when I get ready, I'll just DO it without running it by anybody!

No comments: