Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Act One, Scene One


Last night we had one of our first "real" rehearsals for The Pajama Game. We've mostly been working on learning the music up to this point, but last Sunday we began blocking a big picnic scene. Blocking is when the director places everyone on the stage, and we learn how all the movement will happen as the lines are said - entrances, exits, reactions, scenes within the scene, etc. - and in the case of a musical it includes choreography, as well. It was so exciting to see everyone getting into character, and I started to remember why I like musicals so much to begin with. They are fun!!!!! I can only imagine how the energy level will go up as we memorize our lines get and more comfortable with our roles.

Last night was also pretty exciting because I finally got a leading man! We've not had a "Sid" in the cast yet and I was starting to get worried. The person originally considered for the role wasn't able to coordinate with his work schedule. The director kept telling me not to worry, but I had started threatening to make a cardboard cut-out love interest! I'm very happy that I will not have to dance and sing with a puppet! LOL

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Well? Is he handsome?

amy said...

He is cute, but he has a little boy face. I panicked when I saw him because I thought he must be early twenties, but he's actually 28 . . . an Annapolis graduate, in the Navy, from Wyoming. I have NO idea what got him into musicals, but he has a voice like that Irish tenor from the Lawrence Welk show, so it should be fun to do the show with him! All the little highschool girls seemed all a' twitter over him! lol