Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sign o' the times


The other day I used the word "catalog" in a conversation with my daughter. Now, she's heard the word before but it grabbed her attention this time. You see, she's my little budding linguist - she likes words and their meanings. I could see her rolling this one around in her brain, and apparently she decided to figure out if it was two words combined into one. She asked me if "cata" was a word, because "log" is a word- you know, you "log" onto Disney.com or "log" out of nickjr.com.

I thought it was funny that this was the first definition for "log" that came to her mind, so I asked if she could think of any other meanings. She thought for a minute and said "umm, science log?"

I had to remind her that a log can also be found in nature. Apparently I need to get this kid out in the woods more.

No comments: