Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Funk


I've been out of sorts for a while now. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I've just been in a little bit of a funk. The insomnia issue didn't help matters, and I've just had a lack of motivation that is disturbing. It's not that I'm depressed, and I really have no reason to feel this way. I've "de-stressed" myself quite a bit, my husband enjoys his job, my child is doing well in school, I have two dogs and a kitty who valiantly offer themselves up for petting to help me produce more happy endorphins, and I'm FINALLY getting to do a musical. I even got the LEAD in that musical, which made me feel FANTASTIC! I live in a beautiful place and I enjoy getting out and enjoying the area. On average, things are pretty darn pleasant.

But somewhere in the back of my brain is this nagging little thing that just makes me feel "blah" sometimes. Part of it is the fact that my body has just done a nosedive on me. Things just change as you get older. Ugh. I said older. I am by no means a big person, and a lot of people mistakenly assume that since my overall size is not large, I must be in shape. Not so! There are parts of me that put Droopy to shame, LOL! It dawned on me that this could very well be related to the "funk" I'm in. I think that it is time for me to take better care of myself. It's hard to be mentally healthy if you're suffering physically.

So, yesterday I went to the grocery store and filled my cart with lots of colorful fruits and veggies, along with some whole grains and healthy snacks. Oh, and the Marshmallow Mateys for my hubby . . . but that's a whole other story. I started my day with a whole grain English muffin and all natural marion-blackberry jam. I had a snack of pears (in juice, not syrup!) with low-fat cottage cheese. I've not eaten a single thing with processed sugar, and I gotta tell ya . . . I can already tell a difference. This is the first day in a long time that I haven't desperately longed for a mid-afternoon nap.

So, this is the new change I'm embracing. When I started this blog, lots of things were changing in my life. I'm excited to see where this one is going to take me.

2 comments:

Robbin said...

You just need me there! Hang on, I am coming as soon as I get myself well.
Hope you are feeling better today, what's up with this insomnia?

amy said...

Thanks! I am actually feeling pretty good today! I just don't know what is up with the insomnia. It has plagued me off and on for a while, but it usually only lasts a night or two. It just seemed a little worse lately. Good news is, it has improved a lot recently. :-)