Thursday, March 6, 2008

Of Cabbages and Kings


"The time has come" the Walrus said
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax -
Of cabbages, and kings - And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."


THESE guys are the belugas' neighbors at the zoo. They won my heart and became my new favorite. I have never really seen a walrus up close. The last time we visited the zoo, there was only one big male walrus named ET, and he was sick so he was not out. I was pretty disappointed, but I didn't really know what I was missing. They have recently added two female walruses, and it is HILARIOUS to watch them swimming around. They are so graceful to be such enormous funny-looking things. I found myself imagining them in Wonderland with Alice and a carpenter friend, trying to convince all the little oysters to come on a stroll with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robbin said...

Funny to me you blogged about these guys at this moment because I just watched "Arctic Tale" today. If you haven't seen it then you must! It's a National Geographic documentary and this guy got closer to the artic walrus than anyone has in the wild and it is AMAZING. Also the follows a Polar Bear which I love. Kind of sad in parts though and sad too that the ice is melting but so worth watching. And Queen Latefah is the story teller.

amy said...

I will have to watch that for sure! The arctic walrus intrigues me because it is HUGE and those tusks are gigantic! Speaking of polar bears, the exhibit of those was closed this time at the zoo! They are upgrading the viewing area, so hopefully they'll be back soon!