Sunday, March 30, 2008

Changes in my house

The original part of our home was built in 1914. A section was added to the rear of the house some time in the 60's by someone who thought they were a very talented carpenter. The house has settled some over the years, but mostly it is the terrible handiwork that has resulted in a condition that makes updates to this home extremely frustrating. Nothing is square. When we ripped out the hand-made kitchen cabinets. some of them were literally triangular - narrow at the top, much wider at the bottom. We also had to get very creative putting the new windows in the front of the house when we discovered the windows were not square. It was a technique my hubby revived recently when putting a new window in our back bedroom. It goes like this:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The words in the bubbles are a much more cleaned up version than what was really coming out of that room as this work was in progress. :-)

2 comments:

Chellie said...

I love home improvements. I'm so hooked on HGTV and all their shows. That's usually what I do all weekend is catch up on those shows that tell you why your house won't sell, etc.

amy said...

Chellie, I must admit I got a little burned out on projects for a while, but they are starting to get exciting again! Our entire house (and I mean that literally) is one big project, so it has been a LOT of work at times - mostly for my husband if I'm being honest. It's ALWAYS fun at the beginning, though, when you're designing and deciding exactly what you want to do!