Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Yep.

Watching the 5 finalists attempt to resuscitate long-dead Neil Diamond songs last night was just as awkward and painful as I expected it to be. I realize that there are some big Neil fans out there, but most of them were as high when they listened to his music as he was when he wrote it. Have you ever really paid attention to any of his lyrics? We googled his songs for fun the other night (not really . . . we googled them because the only one we knew was the America song) and our googling gave us a giggle. Some of our favorite excerpts:

"Let me hear that, let me near that - Crunchy granola suite - drop your shrink, and stop your drinkin - Crunchy granola's neat - Da da da - da da da da - dee dee dee dum"

"Stones would play inside her head . . . la la la la la la la la la on stones"

"Gitchy goomy, gitchy gaddy . . . goggin' noggin papa's rockin . . ."

"You're so sweet, horseflies keep hangin' round your face"

And if you still had any doubt about his inspiration:

"La la la - Pot, pot, gimme some pot."

It didn't help that Carly got voted off last week. I loved her, and I always looked forward to hearing her. I'm not even sure if SHE could have gotten me excited about Neil Diamond, though. I really don't know what the producers were thinking.

3 comments:

Chellie said...

Actually it was Neil Diamond.

I agree, Carly was an amazing singer!

amy said...

Oh, shoot, Chellie! I ALWAYS mix up their last names!!!!

amy said...

Okay, I fixed it. I had to make sure those were all really Neil Diamond songs and not Neil Simon!