Monday, September 3, 2007

What a difference a day makes


Yesterday morning, just after I finished typing the "lovely day" blog, I stood up to walk back into the living room. I entered to find puddles of blood everywhere. Without getting graphic, I will briefly explain that my little bulldog has had surgery (twice) for a prolapsed urethra. It had obviously reoccurred. This is a messy affair that actually doesn't cause the dog too much grief, but it requires an immediate trip to the vet, and a LOT of cleaning up. It being Sunday morning of Labor Day weekend, I panicked a little on how I would get him seen. The vet that has done his surgery works in an office that is open 7 days a week, but that doesn't mean the surgeon is always there. It is also a solid hour from my house. I called them, and they informed me that this surgeon was leaving at 4:00 in the morning for a week of vacation but they would get in touch with him to see what he recommended. Meanwhile, I'm trying to contain my dog in one area of the house and keep it from looking like a massacre has occurred.


Long story short, Dr. Larson decided to come right in. They called me and said to start heading their way and he would meet us there. Next dilemma - how to get the 70 lb. bleeding bulldog into the back of my car. Let's just say it was a workout. A messy one.


We have friends that we have not seen in months that live a short distance from the vet, so I decided to go and visit them while waiting for a call letting me know how things went. My little bully had more surgery, and he ended up being neutered, in hopes to prevent this from happening again. We were sad that he won't be able to be a daddy, but I just want him to be healthy! I love this surgeon, though . . . it's the second time he's come in on a Sunday for us, and he really goes the extra mile for his patients. The staff is wonderful, too.


It's funny how your day can change directions so quickly!

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Poor baby, give my granddog a smooch for me.

amy said...

I will! Sam just gave him lots of sugars for all of us when he got home! Silly boys.