Monday, June 9, 2008

It was a blustery day . . .


Man, is it windy here! We've had some limbs falling across the street and the power is flickering. I thought I should tear myself away from the incredible book I'm reading and blog before I lose the chance.
Nothing much to report, just settling back into our routines. Haleigh's class has been doing dinosaur research, and the culmination of all that happens this Friday in The Big Dinosaur Dig! I'm so excited. I'm going to volunteer to help run a "station", and I can't wait. Her teacher said they really go all out with this project to reward the students for the hard work they put into their reports. Stay tuned for details!
This weekend I got the grim news from my doctor's office that my cholesterol is even higher than last year. The "bad" stuff is badder, the "good" stuff isn't any gooder, and the overall number is rather inflated. Yes, I could do a little better in the diet area. BUT, I have been significantly more active in the last year than I have in the past ten years, my diet isn't awful, I'm still in my 20's and not overweight at all. The thing is, my father had a heart attack in his very early 50's from the very same problem. My brother, in his mid-30's, already has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and gout. He is also a very physically fit Air Force fireman. Now, his diet can be questioned (good ol' southern boy who loves to cook), but it really isn't the only culprit. I detect a certain family trend.
So what does this mean for me? If we're being honest, high cholesterol and heart problems, etc. all still seem so foreign to me . . . a distant problem that doesn't have a "right now" affect on me - unless you tell me I can no longer eat cheesecake or baked brie with pepper jelly. Please, for the love of all things HOLY, let me have my cheesecake and brie. I will alter whatever else needs altering. Just today, I swore off bacon-egg-and-cheese biscuits and bought myself some new cereal called Kashi. Are you familiar with it? There are moments when it is a bit like chewing tree bark, but the taste isn't really that bad, and there's a version with flaxseed now (which we all know is fabulous for cholesterol issues). I'm going to give it a whirl, and chat with my doctor this week to see what else needs to be done. I'm avoiding medication like the plague, so wish me luck as I do battle with my blood fats.
Now, remember that book I mentioned? It's painful to even be separated from it - it's that good. I'll probably be up way later than I ought to be, and I'll blame it on my mother-in-law who always shares the good ones. I hope you are all having a wonderful night.

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Which one are you reading? I've forgotten which ones I gave you.
But then I can't remember one moment from the next, I sure hope my brain starts working again soon.
Hey, check out my blog, you'll not believe what happened to us tonight. Just a little while ago.
I'm still shaking.

Robbin said...

Oh, and read the comment Velvet from Velvet Sacks left me under the 16 days post.