Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Pleasant Surprise


This morning I walked outside to put the garbage out and I noticed a new flower in my little garden. It is a tiny little white thing, barely noticeable, but it is a promise of things to come. I almost gave up on this jasmine plant when I cleaned this flower bed out several months ago. It was one puny little brown twig that made a half-hearted "y" shape at the top, and it had maybe 4 or 5 crispy leaves on it. It looked dead! However, when I scraped a little piece with my fingernail, I saw a speck of green. So, I left it to see what would happen.

In the past few weeks, it has grown like crazy! It is starting to climb the little trellis I'm attempting to train it on, and its leaves have filled in beautifully. Today it has finally opened one of its little buds to say hello, and I can't wait for the rest of them to join it. It's going to be a heavenly smell by my front door!

2 comments:

Green Moss & Sunny said...

That is the miracle of the west side of our state. Everything grows. Even on the east side we once had a clematis and we found it eaten to the ground one day in the fall. We left it alone and it sprang to life in the spring. The bee pic on my blog is sitting on that very vine. Viva mother earth!
sunny

amy said...

It is a miracle . . . except when it comes to the WEEDS!!!! LOL
The weeds are going to make me insane, but I am thankful that the plants I enjoy grow fast along with them!