Thursday, June 12, 2008

A memory

My mother-in-law has a knack for finding great blogs. I think a lot of it is the fact that her writing just draws people in, so really cool folks drift her way. Occasionally, I browse through her blog roll to see who's who and visit those that look interesting. Greenish Lady caught my eye today, and she has posted about a cool project that a homeschooling mom has created to teach her children about the Holocaust. You can read about it here.

Her blog reminded me of a memorable encounter I had once, the fall after I got married. I was working at a restaurant that was right off an interstate exit, so we got travelers from all over! A lot of our visitors were older couples who were heading to Florida, either for a vacation or relocating.

One day, a sweet elderly lady and gentleman came in and ordered two buffet dinners. As he reached into his wallet to pay, I saw it - the identification tattoo on the inside of his lower arm. Without really thinking, I said "you're a survivor", and he looked back up at me. At first I wasn't sure if he heard me, or if I even should have said anything. But he said "you know, many people don't even know what that is from. Yes, I am a lucky one. I didn't get sent to the camp until right before they were liberated."

I showed him the gold-colored aluminum bracelet in my purse that had a name of a child who died at Auschwitz. Each cast member was given one when I performed in a play about the Holocaust, so that we could remember we portrayed real people, and take a moment to reflect on the tragedy of that time. It had been carried around in my purse for over two years.

They ate and paid and went on their way. I hope they found sunshine and happiness wherever they were headed, and I am thankful that I got to meet them.

4 comments:

Robbin said...

I sort of had the same thing happen to me with an older couple back in the 80's that came into the store where I was working. I'll tell you about it some day.
And I just love Greenish Lady, I'm glad I found her or she found me, not sure which way it went but she is really special. We need to visit Ireland, put that on our list will you please?

amy said...

Crazy lady, Ireland has BEEN on the list! LOL Don't you know you have a DIL here who is mostly Irish? The Emerald Isle beckons me . . . I want to go find fairies. :-)

Chellie said...

After I saw Elie Wiesel on Oprah a couple of years ago, I went out and got the book "Night". Seeing the pain that still was so real within him after all these years and then reading the book was heartwrenching. Our generation is lucky to actually get to hear/see some of the remaining surviors.

Robbin said...

Oh, yeah, ok.
Have you seen P.S. I love you? Need to see it for a free trip there for a little bit of the movie, plus my boyfriend is in it.