Thursday, June 26, 2008

a little bonus

I love Bernadette Peters. She has a magical ability to morph into any character flawlessly, and she brings gut-wrenching emotion to any song she sings on any stage. I was surfing youtube for a theatre fix, because . . . well, because I like theatre. And I miss it right now. I got a little spoiled with my last show. :-) Anyway, I always look for clips of Ms. Peters, and I've posted my personal favorite down at the bottom of my blog. Amazingly, it's not from Annie Get Your Gun. The context of the song in its actual show is a lover singing of the one she has bitterly lost but can't seem to get away from. However, the first time I heard it, I thought it captured one of the facets of loss for anyone, the early days of grief . . . "Not a Day Goes By" that the person isn't part of your life. You wait for the day you'll start forgetting, but you don't. For a time, you feel like you are dying yourself, over and over every day. Eventually, it's not as angry and painful, and then you move on to another song . . .
I hope you like it. If you're a theatre person, you'll love it. If you're not, I think there is a good chance you'll still love it. :-)

1 comment:

Robbin said...

I posted you a comment on the day you posted this but I noticed today it was not there. I also love her of course, and yep, that song touched a part of what I'm feeling for sure, what we're all feeling.
She's amazing. REALLY amazing. Thanks for posting it.