Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chief Seattle Days


Tomorrow begins the Chief Seattle Days celebrations in the north end of my county. You can find out more about him here. His true name is Sealth which was difficult for white men to pronounce so it became "Seattle", and there is no historical evidence that he was a chief of any kind. However, he is very famous for his work to promote peace between white men and native Americans. There is a well-known speech attributed to him that may or may not have been recorded exactly as he spoke. Regardless, it is beautiful, and if you have a moment you should read the full text at the website above. His gravesite is about 25 minutes from my house, and I finally visited there last summer with my mother-in-law. This picture is a view from the general area . . . if you look closely you can see the shadow of Mt. Rainier in the background. The whole landside around there is rich with history, and sacred. I think I might attend the pow-wow this year. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments: