Thursday, August 30, 2007

Girly lunches


My daughter and I love to have "girly lunches". I don't know how they came about being called this, but it stuck, so that's what they are. We've had many variations on the theme, but we typically put together a collection of finger sandwiches, bite-sized fruit, and cookies or crackers. We put them all on their own little plate, then we sit and munch and chat. Once, we had sparkling cider in little clear plastic cups that made us feel oh-so-fancy. She especially likes it if I cut the sandwiches into triangles and stack them up to look like a cake. We actually had a girly supper once, at a real restaurant, and she proceeded to speak in an English accent as soon as we sat down, keeping it up the rest of the evening. Naturally, I had to join her in this, and the waitress said we were the most fun she had all night.

Today, we had wonderful ham and turkey sandwiches, fresh sweet strawberries, and a variety of goldfish crackers and chips. The actual menu isn't nearly as important as using cute little plates and acting as if you're dining with the Queen of England. One of these days, I would love to get a real picnic basket and take our girly lunces to the park!

2 comments:

Robbin said...

When I come out, let's find some place to go where they have High Tea. She'd love that and I would too!

amy said...

I know the perfect place. It's a date!