Saturday, August 11, 2007

Walkin' in Memphis




On the return portion of our round-trip cross-country driving tour, my daughter and I stopped in Tupelo, MS to see the childhood home of Elvis, and then we stopped at Graceland. There was a time in my life that I was infatuated with Elvis, and I wanted so badly to visit his home. I'm so glad now that I didn't get to go until I was an adult. It wouldn't have been as meaningful before. I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there, but my impression was this. Graceland is much smaller than I expected, but just as gaudy as I could have imagined. The shocking part is how genuinely cozy and comforting it is. Yes, it's over the top, just like the rest of Elvis' life and style . . . but I could easily imagine sitting around the kitchen eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches and hanging out with friends. It made me even more curious about the man himself. I wonder what those closest to him got to see. Yes, he changed the face of rock n' roll and made history, but what was he really like?

No comments: