Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sports Star


Our daughter played in her first soccer tournament today. It also happened to be her first outdoor soccer game! She's been playing indoor soccer for a few months now but we're just getting started with outdoor. I was so proud of her and her teammates today. They played so hard and really worked together to do very well. They won their first game and lost their second, but only by a little bit. The coolest thing was to watch "team spirit" materialize before my eyes today. Haleigh is an only child and we really wanted her to get into a team sport to experience everything they have to offer: camaraderie, group effort, working together, supporting each other, making friends, and of course, putting a beating on the other team! :-) I found myself cheering like a maniac on the sidelines, often coming out of my chair. The picture here is one of my favorites. Haleigh's teammate had just scored, and Haleigh had set the ball up nicely to help her do that. As the ball wooshed into the goal, the girls bear-hugged each other and high-fived back to the center of the field. The joy on their faces was irresistable!

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Alright! Wish I could have seen her. The best memories I have of the boy's childhoods are watching them play baseball. There is nothing better than a ten year old boy except a six and a half year old little girl!

amy said...

We're hoping she'll stick with it. I had so much fun today, just wish her daddy could have been there, too. I think he's going to take a day off here and there when she starts her games. I still can't believe how much fun it was to watch. The little girls were so cute - but viscious!