Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis lives


It's hard to believe that a man who died 30 years ago today still has such an impact on American culture. I mentioned in an earlier post that I recently visited Graceland, along with Elvis' childhood home in Tupelo, MS. I must say, even if you are just a little bit interested in Elvis, a visit to those places will leave you positively intrigued! I wonder how a little boy living in poverty in the deep south took the path to superstardom. You can see from the quotes on the memory wall that he was beautiful and stood out from the crowd even as a little child! And Graceland is like nowhere else on earth!


Of all the things that fascinated me about Graceland, I was really blown away that I had the same swingset as Lisa Marie. On a side note, I was actually named Lisa Marie up until the day I was actually born, and my dad decided he really didn't like it, and didn't think it fit after seeing me! Anyway, I'm sure there were lots of folks with this swingset since it was before the day of WAY too many choices at gigantic toy stores, but I connected with that swingset! It made her, and her family, human. She was just a little girl who happened to have the most famous daddy in the world but had a swingset just like the rest of us!

No comments: