Sunday, August 26, 2007

Moon cakes



I first learned of moon cakes while watching Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat with my daughter when she was about 2 years old. I learned recently that Sagwa was created by Amy Tan and named after her own cat. Right now I am reading one of her books, and I just finished a chapter that describes moon cakes and the mid-August festival at which they are eaten. I was curious, so I got online to find out more about them. Traditionally they are made with bean paste, lotus seeds, and even preserved egg yolks! They don't necessarily sound appetizing to me because the ingredients are not familiar to my palate. However, I would love to try one (maybe minus the egg yolk). I would especially like to try one in China, during the festival. Hey, mother-in-law, what are you doing next August?

2 comments:

Robbin said...

Going to China with YOU!...we just have to work out a few details.

amy said...

Yeah, preparation number one: we all start buying lottery tickets!!